Casa Barranca Estate, originally known as The Pratt House, was designed in 1909 by the nationally renowned and revered architects, Greene & Greene, and is a National Historic Landmark. Purchased in 1994 by Bill Moses, and restored over the ensuing four years to its current grandeur, the Pratt House is now more commonly known in the wine world as Casa Barranca.
While it was the Pratt House, with its distinctive Arts and Crafts architectural motif, that lured Moses to the Ojai Valley, it was the idea of a home vineyard on the property that gave life to what has become a passion for harnessing natural and sustainable practices in wine making. To that end, all the water used on the estate is drawn from an artesian spring, and the power is solar. All the grapes used in wine making are farmed without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
So it was that in 2001, Moses and Casa Barranca Winery, taking advantage of the latest technology, as well as a supportive local wine community, became the first certified organic winery in the Central Coast region, and is now producing more than 5,000 cases of wines, including Chardonnay, Grenache Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Pink Moment Rose, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Syrah, and Cabernet Franc.